Tuesday, October 9, 2018

The Tao of "Rocky Mountain High"

For an unknown reason, some people don't like folk music. I don't get those people. Of course it may not scratch every itch, but there's something about a rambling banjo, a scratchy washboard or even the clickety-clack of spoons rapped against a bearded mountain man's leg.

But for those that can't find love in backwoods West Virginia hillpeople moonshine music (as I do), there's an entry-level folk god everyone can vibe to: Henry John Deutschendorf, otherwise known by his moniker, John Denver.

Denver-mania isn't a new phenomenon by any means, but the recent inexplicable resurgence of "Take Me Home, Country Roads" has brought Denver back into the public conscience, if only indirectly (they've been singing it in Morgantown, West Virginia, during the third quarter for years). The hit isn't quite Denver's best work, even though it's sure to rouse a few friends to try to harmonize in the middle of a party (guilty).

The opus of John Denver's discography is "Rocky Mountain High" and you can quote me on that, although it's probably not the most controversial opinion. Back in 2007, the Colorado state legislature officially declared the alpine anthem as their second state song behind "Where the Columbines Grow," which has traditional roots in the state (much like how "Oklahoma!" is the state song of Oklahoma, when it undeniably should be "Merry Christmas from the Family," even though Robert Earl Keen is from Texas).

We don't need the government to tell us which song is better because we have functional ears. Anyone who has ever heard the opening acoustic chords and the subtle steel guitar at the end of the third chorus feels immediately compelled to trek up the side of a mountain with a fur-skin hat. It's just human nature.

Of all the songs to listen to while in the mountains, "Rocky Mountain High" takes the cake. It awakens that deep part of your spirit that yearns to climb among the eagles. I've done my fair share of hiking, and I just wish that I could feel the high Denver felt when he penned the song's simple and eternal verses. The closest I can get is by turning my turntable as loud as it will go and trying to hit the high harmonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Travel Quests

I have so much on my bucket list, there's not way I'll be able to complete it all before I die (even if I'm just 20 right now). ...